Why Transform Your Home With a Loft Conversion?
Are you feeling cramped in your current home? Need more room for your family, but don’t want the hassle of moving? Loft conversions are a great way to create new space for your home, and add value to your property.
If you’re interested in a loft conversion project, there are some things you should first consider. This article will give you some tips on how to plan and complete a successful loft conversion so that it meets all of your requirements.
What is a Loft Conversion and What are the Benefits
A loft conversion is simply the process of converting an unused attic or loft space into a usable room. It can be used a an extra bedroom, a home office, or a playroom. In fact the range of possibilities that a loft conversion opens up, is one of the reasons why it remains the most popular kind of home improvement in the UK. It can be achieved relatively cheaply and quickly, and extra rooms are always attractive if you’re looking to sell.
The Planning and Cost of a Loft Conversion
If you’re considering converting your loft, there are a few things you need to take into account. First, ask yourself how much space you need. A loft conversion can add a lot of extra living space to your home, but will it provide the right dimensions for your requirements? Second, think about what kind of room you want to create. Do you need an extra bedroom? A home office? A playroom for the kids? Third, be realistic about your budget. A loft conversion is a big investment, and you don’t want to find yourself cutting corners.
How to Choose the Right Materials and Architect/Contractor
When it comes to choosing the right materials and architect/contractor for your loft conversion, it’s important to do your research. here are a few tips to consider:
- Get quotes from a few different companies and ask them for references from past clients. This will ensure that you’re being given a fair price, and that they have a good track record.
- When choosing a contractor, make sure they are licensed and insured. You should get a written contract specifying the work that will be done, the materials that will be used and the cost of the project.
- Choosing the right materials is also important. Make sure you select materials that are both high quality and affordable. Talk to your contractor about what type of materials would be best for your specific loft conversion.
What to Expect During the Construction Process
A construction process in your own home can be a bit daunting, but it’s important to stay calm and and good humoured. It helps to keep in mind the many benefits you’ll derive from the finished conversion. Here’s what to expect:
- Make sure you have a clear idea of what you want your loft conversion to look like. Work with your contractor to create a plan that meets your needs and fits your budget.
- Schedule the work carefully. You don’t want construction work going on when children are on school holidays, for example.
- Accept the your life will be disrupted for a while. Get a clear indication from your contractor how long each stage will take.
- Stay in touch with your contractor throughout the process. Make sure they are aware of any changes or concerns you may have.
- Be firm about deadlines. Don’t allow the project to drift, or accept excuses from your contractor.
Ready to Convert Your Loft?
The loft conversion process is an upheaval, but it’s worth the effort. If you’re considering undertaking this project for your home, My Build My Way can help by introducing you to local contractors who have been vetted by us, and who are fully backed by indemnity insurance. Once you’ve found your contractor, we’ll quality check each stage of the process. See how our 8 stage process takes the stress out of your building project.
Would you like My Build My Way to help you find a contractor for your home conversion project? Give us a call on 0800 2465453 or message us online.